Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 19:32:54 +0300

> From: Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 19:20:36 +0300
>
> Possible issue:
>
> 1 Being able to use Emacs for all these needs. One way is being able to
>  interact with the VC system using emails, i.e. issues, features,
>  discussions should have a nice and efficient email interface in
>  addition to using a website. Another approach is using the wonderful
>  Magit and Forge packages. Forge currently is lacking the discussions
>  feature but has a very good git + pull-requests + org-mode
>  integration abilities.
> 2 Changing processes, how people operate. Whether it's the technical
>  aspect of a pull-request approval vs. patch submission to the more
>  conceptual change of dealing with "issues" representing bugs, ideas,
>  feature requests or general discussions instead of mailing lists.
>  These changes shouldn't be too disruptive. However I do believe a
>  small price has to be paid in order to go from one local minima of
>  effort in a given practice to another, hopefully better local minima.
>
> Does this describe well the current situation?
> What areas need attention in order to facilitate the change?

At the time, someone filed an issue with GitLab with a description of
the problems we discovered.  I'm quite sure the issue ID was posted
here.  I suggest to find that issue and read it (unless you already
did), because AFAIR there were several aspects to it, certainly more
than just 2 you mention.

Thanks.