RE: [External] : Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windm

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 13:43:45 +0000

> You have reminded me of another from my todo wish-list. I wanted to
> configure help to not open new window every time, because I also had
> some thoughts of keeping it open all the time.

I use a dedicated *Help* frame.  More or less this:

(add-to-list
  'special-display-buffer-names
  (list "*Help*" '1on1-display-*Help*-frame
        ;; ... frame-parameters ...
        ))

(defun 1on1-display-*Help*-frame (buf &optional args)
  (let ((return-window
         (select-window (funcall special-display-function buf args))))
    (raise-frame)
    return-window))

Of course that doesn't mean I "keep it open" all the time.
I iconify (thumbify) it, delete it, ... whatever, whenever.