Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 12:27:44 -0700

From: Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 12:10:16 -0700

Today, winner binds C-c LEFT  and C-c RIGHT for window configuration
undo and redo, respectively. This set of bindings has three problems:

   1) the bindings occupy binding space on important keys, LEFT and
RIGHT, for functions that are rarely used,

2) the winner binding space isn't logically connected to window
management, and

3) the bindings don't work on terminals without LEFT and RIGHT.

How about we set up these bindings instead?
I'm actually surprised they have key bindings.  How frequently do you
undo/redo window configuration changes?

I do is pretty often actually --- winner's undo history acts as a task stack. When I'm in the middle of working on something and temporarily want to do some other thing that changes window configuration --- for example, using calc or running some test in a shell buffer --- and I want just go back to what I was doing, restoring the window configuration is useful. Sure, I can save the window configuration in a register instead, but doing that requires forethought and winner doesn't.

(Also: is there any reason we shouldn't enable winner by default?)
Doesn't the tab bar offer a similar functionality?

I don't use the tab bar. I don't like that it takes up screen real estate, and I prefer other ways of working with windows.