Re: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 23:04:58 -0400

  > > Can someoe point me at the _precise_ agreement text for this? Then the
  > > FSF could actually study the question.

Thanks for sending them.

  > 4.a.1: "When using the APIs, you may not (or allow those acting on your
  > behalf to) [s]ublicense an API for use by a third party. Consequently, you
  > will not create an API Client that functions substantially the same as the
  > APIs and offer it for use by third parties."

I am not sure concretely what this is talking about.  Does the FSF
ever do anything remotely like "sublicense an API"?  I don't think so,
but I can't be really sure until I know what it would mean.

Also, what is "an API Client that functions substantially the same as
the APIs"?  You seem to believe that movemail fits those words, but I
doubt it.  I don't know what that API can do, but I would expect it
includes a lot more funtionality than just "download all the incoming
mail as an inbox file and delete it on the server."

However, supposing that extending a program to "download all the
incoming mail as an inbox file and delete it on the server" did fall
under that description, I see nothing to stop us from doing it.  Any
free license permits adding features, and some of us have never agreed
to these Google terms.