Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:19:34 +0000

Someone might agree to take the legal risk to violate these TOS. IANAL, but I observe that no other "small" free software project (e.g. Mutt or Alpine) took that risk. Two larger free software projects (Thunderbird and Kmail) took that risk, but their apps were registered by a legal person, not by a developer.

There you have something, isn't FSF a legal person? Is GNU an organisation right?

It is indeed. If the lawyers of the FSF agree to do that, I would (of course) have no objection.

But even so, that would only get us to the same very tenuous legal position that Thunderbird and Kmail are in now, right?

AFAIU, yes, but again IANAL, and the lawyers of the FSF might have another opinion.