Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 11:07:44 +0200

> It depends on the organization, I guess.  My organization has IMAP
> enabled.  To use Thunderbird, I attempted to authenticate IMAP using
> OAuth.  The administrator received a request for access from
> "Thunderbird" (identified by Thunderbird's Microsoft-assigned globally
> unique identifier (GUID)), which they granted, after which I could use
> Thunderbird with IMAP.

You're lucky. :-)

> I haven't tried yet, but I suspect using Emacs in my organization would
> be harder because, what GUID would I use?

Well, you could just use Thunderbird's. It's all right here:

https://github.com/mozilla/releases-comm-central/blob/master/mailnews/base/src/OAuth2Providers.jsm

You shouldn't though, because that could get you in trouble. While all
this stuff is essentially security theatre, good luck explaining that to
your IT security department...

-David