Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 11:00:58 -0400

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > I haven't tried yet, but I suspect using Emacs in my organization would
>   > be harder because, what GUID would I use?
>
>   > I think it's worth the FSF getting such a globally unique identifier
>   > assigned for GNU Emacs, so that the permission-granting workflow would
>   > be as easy for Emacs as it is for Thunderbird.
>
> Can someone please find out _precisely_ what we would have to do?

The official overview is on this web page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/quickstart-register-app

> And _precisely_ what we would have to agree to?

Someone attempting this procedure will be presented with the required
legal agreements as they go through the steps.  I looked but I couldn't
find a simple web page with all the terms of service.

> In discussion months ago, previous reports said we would have
> to apply to get a certain kind of code, and promise to keep it secret.
> We would not be able to keep it secret.

That discussion, in bug #41386, was about some of Google's email
services.

This discussion is about Microsoft's email services.

> Does "GUID" refer to that same code?

No.  GUID here refers to a Microsoft-assigned public identifier.

> Is this the same option or is it a different option?

Microsoft's implementation of OAuth2 provides an application
identification option that is different from the one that Google
provides.  It is the "public client application" option that was
identified by David and discussed in this thread.

With this option, there is no secret code, only the Microsoft-assigned
public identifier that identifies Emacs.  In principle it would be
possible for Emacs source code to include that public identifier since
it is not meant to be kept secret.

Thomas