Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Andrew Cohen
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 08:01:30 +0800

[...]

    RW> Thanks.  My reading of the code of oauth2.el is that
    RW> oauth2-compute-id derives the id for plstore from auth-url,
    RW> token-url, and scope.  It seems to me that this will get
    RW> confused with, say, two different Office365 accounts that have
    RW> the same auth-url, token-url, and scope.  Should the code use
    RW> also additional information such as the user name?  (I do not
    RW> know much about plstore.el used by oauth2.el.)

oauth2 is primarily focused on accessing web-based resources, not
service based ones such as imap or smtp. For imap the most common way to
control authentication is through auth-source which does indeed use the
user name (and host name and port) to distinguish entries. As I
described in an earlier email this all works quite well (for me)
although the plstore is handled separately from oauth2. And this method
isn't tied to plstore, but works fine with the other auth-source
backends (like an .authinfo file).

Having said that, it may not hurt to extend/modify oauth2 to interact
better with auth-store. My preference would be to focus ouath2 on the
token management and leave the actual resource interaction (including
storing tokens) to the tools that are already doing that.

Best,
Andy