Re: NonGNU ELPA work

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA work
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 08:36:43 +0000

> Philip Kaludercic [2021-06-16 21:34:32] wrote:
>> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>>> Wouldn't we all?  ;-)
>>> BTW, I'll take this opportunity to remind people that NonGNU ELPA not
>>> only exists but would welcome help to include new packages (especially
>>> important packages like Magit).
>> I believe this question was already raised before, but I'd like to make
>> sure if anything has changes, as I would be interesting in helping to
>> improve NonGNU ELPA: What is to be done? How can one help? Is there
>> checklist somewhere with what is missing, or do we just need to gather
>> packages?
>
> The NonGNU ELPA archive is operational, so all we need is to add
> packages to it.  The main criteria:
> - Important enough that we want them in NonGNU even though we can't get
>   copyright paperwork for it.
> - Acceptable: can be used without (and doesn't advertise or promote)
>   proprietary software and only requires packages in Emacs or
>   GNU/NonGNU ELPA.

>From browsing MELPA's homepage, these would be my suggestions:

- pdf-tools
- geiser
- erlang-mode
- web-mode
- macrostep
- cider
- dumb-jump
- multiple-cursors
- haskell-mode
- htmlize
- paredit
- json-mode
- go-mode
- rust-mode
- editorconfig
- yasnippet-snippets
- wgrep
- lua-mode
- smartparens
- evil

and their respective dependencies.

These have all more than 100000 downloads on MELPA, and are often
mentioned in Emacs communities. I think adding more language support is
self-evidently good (I am especially invested in go-mode, because the
development of the package has stagnated).

I'd have to check the number of contributors and the number of
contributors with assignments first/number of contributors with
significant contributions and no assignment. Some of these packages are
based on a lot of little contributions (dumb-jump, yasnippet-snippets)
that can easily exceed the 15-line rule, and trying to contact all the
contributors can be pretty hard.

Others are used by GNU projects and/or packages that are bundled with
Emacs (Org has a weak dependency on htmlize, geiser is used by Guix).

Other than these, there are a lot of themes around the 100000 downloads
point, that also might be of interest.

>> What is the procedure for adding or suggesting new packages
>
> At the minimum send an email suggesting a particular package (with
> a URL to its Git repository).
> Better if it comes with some argument why we want it.
> Even better if it comes with a patch to nongnu.git's `elpa-packages`.

I would be glad to contribute patches for all the packages I have
enumerated above.

--
        Philip K.