Re: NonGNU ELPA work

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA work
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 18:24:42 -0400

Philip Kaludercic [2021-06-16 21:34:32] wrote:
>> Wouldn't we all?  ;-)
>> BTW, I'll take this opportunity to remind people that NonGNU ELPA not
>> only exists but would welcome help to include new packages (especially
>> important packages like Magit).
> I believe this question was already raised before, but I'd like to make
> sure if anything has changes, as I would be interesting in helping to
> improve NonGNU ELPA: What is to be done? How can one help? Is there
> checklist somewhere with what is missing, or do we just need to gather
> packages?

The NonGNU ELPA archive is operational, so all we need is to add
packages to it.  The main criteria:
- Important enough that we want them in NonGNU even though we can't get
  copyright paperwork for it.
- Acceptable: can be used without (and doesn't advertise or promote)
  proprietary software and only requires packages in Emacs or
  GNU/NonGNU ELPA.

> What is the procedure for adding or suggesting new packages

At the minimum send an email suggesting a particular package (with
a URL to its Git repository).
Better if it comes with some argument why we want it.
Even better if it comes with a patch to nongnu.git's `elpa-packages`.

> (and what is blocking Magit)?

Good question.  My guess is that Jonas has just been busy with
other things, so you may want to ask him in which way you can help.

        Stefan