Re: Emacs CLA requirement

From: Adam Tack
Subject: Re: Emacs CLA requirement
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 17:13:00 +0200

> I wouldn't be so sure: AFAIK we do have all the needed copyright
> assignments, yet it still hasn't appeared in Emacs's core because there
> are other factors.

(Oops, I incorrectly replied to this, previously, sorry!)

If I'm reading the relevant GitHub thread[0] (works with JS disabled)
correctly, collecting copyright assignments was only finished in
February this year, so the other factors have caused less than 10 % of
the delay until now.

[0] https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/282

> We have NonGNU ELPA for that (Magit was one of the main motivations for
> its creation).  Yet Magit still isn't on NonGNU ELPA, and that's not for
> copyright assignment reasons either.

I cannot speak for Tarsius, but:

1. NonGNU ELPA has been in existence for less than a year.
2. AFAIU NonGNU ELPA does not allow the package to be included in and
distributed with Emacs, only easily installed and referenced in the
manuals, which isn't quite the same level of inclusion or enticement.
(I obviously would still be extremely happy if Magit were present in
NonGNU ELPA, though.)