Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 09:43:22 +0300

> From: chad <yandros@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 13:07:17 -0700
> Cc: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>,
>  EMACS development team <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>  martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>  Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> I'm all for keeping context in mind, and I think that part of that is Eli's
> unusual circumstances: running
> unoptimised builds with extra checking enabled. I don't know what his
> particular hardware is like, but my
> laptop is a medium-spec i5 from ~4 generations back running debian inside a
> lightweight VM, and I can both
> scroll from top to bottom of src/xdisp.c and open the file and immediately
> Esc-> to the end without (being
> aware of?) font-lock falling behind.

Make a C file that's 10 copies of xdisp.c one after the other, and
repeat the experiment.  Then try the same with Emacs 23 to see the
regression.

My machine is a Core i7, albeit an old model of it.  But it still can
run circles around the one Richard Stallman uses, or the one Stefan
said he was using.