Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 10:07:52 -0700

On June 10, 2021 10:01:49 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:46:11 +0000
Cc: dancol@dancol.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, rudalics@gmx.at,
emacs-devel@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org
From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

That variable is still supported by CC Mode (with the exception of AWK
Mode, where it surely is not needed).

Does it make a difference, performance-wise?  If not (which is what
ISTR), then that variable isn't really "supported", because supporting
it means that different values of it cause tangible differences in
performance.

Yes, it does make a difference.  On my machine, the times to scroll
through xdisp.c with my favourite benchmark for
font-lock-maximum-decoration set to 3, 2, 1 are 23s, 7.5s, 5.5s.

Then I suggest to set it to 2 by default.

Performance is reasonable most of the time. If it weren't, we'd see rampant complaints. Emacs should default to maximum fontification. If it doesn't, most users won't even know they can get more.