Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 11:28:41 -0700

From: Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 11:11:21 -0700
Cc: rudalics@gmx.at, emacs-devel@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org, acm@muc.de

The whole point of fontification is to provide visual hints about the
semantic structure of source code. If cc-mode can't do that reliably, my
preference would be for it to not do it at all. Fontification of a
type-using expression shouldn't change if I move the definition of that
type from one file to another.
I think we agree.  Except that for me, it should also not try if it
cannot do it quickly enough, not only reliably enough.

IMHO, we should rely on LSP to figure out what symbols are types, and if
a LSP isn't available, we shouldn't try to guess.
I was talking about what to do (or not to do) with our existing
regexp- and "syntax"-based fontifications.  I still remember the days
when CC Mode handled that well enough without being a snail it
frequently is now, and that was on a machine about 10 times slower
than the one I use nowadays.  The C language didn't change too much
since then, at least not the flavor I frequently edit.

C++ is a much more complex language and a lot more relevant for modern software development.