Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 18:52:27 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: rudalics@gmx.at,  eliz@gnu.org,  acm@muc.de,  dancol@dancol.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 11:29:07 -0400
>
> All I meant is that given the increase of performance of CPUs (until the
> beginning of this century) and a non-corresponding increase in file size
> and complexity of language syntax, programmers nowadays prefer correct
> behavior over fast behavior, since the correct behavior is fast enough
> anyway to be bearable.

Not in CC Mode, not IMO anyway.  But perhaps you don't consider what
CC Mode does to be "correct behavior".

And then, of course, there's a question "what is correct"?  When I see
something like

   static foo_t __attribute__((bar)) myvar;

I'm not sure I'd care if everything before "myvar" would be in the
same face and "myvar" in another face.  IOW, it isn't necessarily
important to me that fontification knows that foo_t is a type and not
a keyword.  So searching the file (and perhaps other files) for the
definition of foo_t isn't important -- for the purposes of
fontification.