Re: Search multiple Info-buffers at once with Info-occur function

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Search multiple Info-buffers at once with Info-occur function
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:14:35 -0400

>> Are you sure the facilities in info-look.el aren't a better starting
>> point (or maybe even a solution) for the problems you have in mind?
>
> Ah, I wasn't aware of this.  It's pretty much what I had in mind.
>
> The only downside of info-look (and I guess this is inherent to the info
> format, or to long-form documentation is general) is that you can't just
> pick a random collection of manuals to search for symbols.  Instead,
> there's a manually curated list of modes (via
> `info-lookup-maybe-add-help') with recipes as to what constitutes a
> symbol in that manual.

Maybe info-look.el can be extended with:
- a way for the user to specify (even interactively) a particular set of
  of manuals to use in a particular buffer.
- a heuristic to find symbols in manuals without any manually curated
  description of what constitutes a symbol.

Maybe that heuristic could then be "upstreamed" into a formally defined
and documented Texinfo convention that future manual authors would be
expected to follow?

        Stefan