Re: Search multiple Info-buffers at once with Info-occur function

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Search multiple Info-buffers at once with Info-occur function
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 16:29:20 +0300

> From: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
> Cc: dalanicolai@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 15:07:17 +0200
>
> On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 15:15, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > Are you sure the facilities in info-look.el aren't a better starting
> > point (or maybe even a solution) for the problems you have in mind?
>
> Ah, I wasn't aware of this.  It's pretty much what I had in mind.

Then I'm glad I mentioned this.

> The only downside of info-look (and I guess this is inherent to the info
> format, or to long-form documentation is general) is that you can't just
> pick a random collection of manuals to search for symbols.  Instead,
> there's a manually curated list of modes (via
> `info-lookup-maybe-add-help') with recipes as to what constitutes a
> symbol in that manual.

That's true, but how else can Emacs possibly know which manual(s)
is/are relevant to a random symbol or major mode?  Eventually, you
must have some DB of data that connects these dots, and info-look.el
provides the infrastructure to maintain and extend such a DB.  Right?
Or am I missing something?