Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 13:23:41 +0100

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 03:16:17PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> How did you compile Emacs? which compiler and what compiler and linker
> switches?  And what kind of CPU do you have there?  I'm looking for
> something that could explain why parts of code that should take like
> 20% of the total redisplay time are so dominant in your case.
>
> Alan, do you see similar numbers (in percents) to what Aaron reports?
> Or is that something peculiar to his system?

I did some trials last night using the highlight-regexp technique but
didn't note the times. They're in the same ball park as Aaron's.

Interestingly I also see them on a Debian system, so I just checked
and it looks like Emacs is being built with clang there. The NS port
can only be built on macOS with clang, so Aaron will be using it.

I'll have another look this evening to see if I can rule out clang
being responsible.
--
Alan Third