Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 22:00:58 +0300

> From: Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 11:21:18 -0700
> Cc: Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp>
>
> > > All my recent times are on unoptimized and on Emacs 28. I'm building
> > > the default architecture on macOS, which I imagine is 64 bit.
>
> I must have written this in a rush. I build optimized, not unoptimized.

I can show times from an optimized build of Emacs 27.2.  I don't have
optimized builds of Emacs 28 yet.

> > Note that I don't consider this (i.e. scrolling through a buffer that
> > was already completely font-locked in advance) an important use case
> > for the redisplay purposes, because with today's JIT font-lock this
> > almost never happens.
>
> Is that because the font-locking gets garbage collected over time?

No, because JIT font-lock only fontifies what you display, and files
of significant size are almost never displayed in their entirety.  You
only display what you work on.

> And I agree, I don't think holding the scroll button down to get to
> the bottom of the file is an important use case. It's just been used
> as a proxy for rendering performance/framerate testing.

That's not my point: scrolling through an unfontified buffer is
definitely an important use case.