Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 09:02:09 +0200

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

Hi Martin,

> Thanks.  That was a misguided attempt that didn't work here either.
> Please try the patch I attach now, it at least doesn't break anything
> here.  If this still doesn't get us anywhere, I'd like to look into
> your frame size history and will tell you how to set that up.

With emacs -Q, I still get a frame where only the menubar but not
toolbar is shown.  The latter only appears when minimally resizing the
frame.

But on the plus side, after that initial resizing, now toggling menubar
and toolbar makes them (dis)appear immediately without the need for
another frame resize.

Oh, wait, sorry, that's the very same behavior I also have on the
current master, so no difference with your patch.  And additionally, I
don't actually need to resize the emacs frame.  It's also enough to
switch focus to some other WM window [1] and back again to make the
toolbar appear, and from that time on, toggling menu/toolbar have
immediate effect.

Bye,
Tassilo

[1] Interestingly, I have to switch focus to some other _tiling_ window
and back again.  Switching to a floating window and back to emacs
doesn't help.  Not sure if that information has any value for you.