Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 09:59:59 +0200

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

Hi Martin,

>>> And after fixing my latest thinko in Fframe_parameters as in commit
>>> e9baa733b8cac00e008cb834abc8712c8c00beed
>>
>> Is it possible that this broke some things?
>
> Do you mean this specific commit or one of my preceding ones?

I'm not sure.  It's just that I've noticed when that commit was the HEAD
and not the day before.  I update my checkout every morning CEST, so we
can restrict the issue to at least the commits in, say, 36 hours before
my message.

If you want, I can bisect when I find some time, maybe this evening.

> That latest one should affect you only if you have some special code
> in your init file that uses `frame-parameter', `frame-height' or
> `frame-width'.

I have

(setq default-frame-alist '((width . 90)
                            (height . 50)))

which is basically a relict of the times where I've not used a tiling
WM.

>> When I do "emacs -Q" I get a frame with menubar but no toolbar.
>
> Which build, GTK3?

Yes.

>> Only when I resize the frame the toolbar appears.  When I turn both
>> of them off using `M-x tool-bar-mode' and `M-x menu-bar-mode', they
>> also won't vanish before I resize the frame.
>
> We can trace these behaviors but please answer the two questions above
> first.
>
>> I have to say that I use sway, a tiling window manager, so it might be
>> that this behavior is not observable with a "normal" WM where windows
>> may define their own size.
>
> By design, my commits should not have changed anything for you.

Ok, great.

Bye,
Tassilo