Re: master 289000e: Merge branch 'feature/native-comp' into trunk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 289000e: Merge branch 'feature/native-comp' into trunk
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 16:45:56 +0300

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:21:25 +0000
> Cc: akrl@sdf.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > My suggestion is to load and run the code you want to benchmark, but
> > after the benchmark finishes, leave Emacs running until 'ps' no longer
> > shows inferior Emacs processes run in the background -- those are the
> > subprocesses Emacs starts to natively-compile every .el file your
> > program loads.  Once all the native-compilation subprocesses exit,
> > exit your interactive session, and then run the benchmark again; this
> > time it should show the full speedup of native-compilation.
>
> I've tried that, but I don't think the native compile versions of CC Mode
> got loaded.  If they had been loaded, there would have been _some_ speed
> up.  What I did was, in essence,
>
>     M-: (load-file "~/emacs/emacs.git/master/lisp/progmodes/cc-defs.elc")

If you specify the .elc extension explicitly, Emacs won't load the
.eln file instead.  Use "M-x load-library RET cc-defs RET" instead.

(And why do you need to load the CC mode files by hand? why not let
Emacs load them as needed?)

> > We have a lot to do in the documentation department for this feature.
> > You can wait until we are done (which could take a while), or you
> > could ask questions (but in the latter case please be more specific,
> > so that the answers are useful for you).
>
> Sorry, I got the impression that, with the merge, the feature was almost
> ready for full time use in Emacs.

I think it's ready.  There are people who use it for several months
already.  I just didn't feel it would be justified to delay the merge
because of the documentation.