Re: master 289000e: Merge branch 'feature/native-comp' into trunk

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: master 289000e: Merge branch 'feature/native-comp' into trunk
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 20:03:46 +0000

Hello, Andrea.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 18:36:22 +0000, Andrea Corallo via Emacs development
discussions. wrote:
> Hi all,

> I guess you get what this mail is about from the subject :)

> I want to really thanks maintainers with a special mention to Eli for
> reviewing, Stefan for the many advice, Luchino and Nino for all the help
> and really all the users that tested the branch and gave a ton of
> feedback and bug reports :)

> But ultimately, what really made possible to keep it up and go through
> this journey was all the enthusiasm and support we got from the whole
> community!

> Thanks!

I'm sure this is going to be fantastic.  But where are the instructions?

I've just tried a ./configure (with --with-native-compilation), and got
the error message:

    configure: error: elisp native compiler requested but libgccjit not found.
    Please try installing libgccjit or similar package.

What is libgccjit, and where do I find it?  (It is not in my OS's
package manager (Gentoo GNU/Linux)).  What else do I need to know,
successfully to build and run the native compilation feature?

Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).