Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 20:14:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> You reject everything I propose with vague statements about
>> "potential problems", without any detail or recipe that would help
>> me or others to see whether these "potential problems" are real or
>> minor ones.
>
> I'm not sure what detail I need to provide.  Isn't it clear that using
> a buffer-local variable doesn't resolve problems with using that same
> buffer in another level of recursive-edit?  Or that changing the
> window-start position from under the feet of the display engine is
> something that should be avoided?  Why would you need examples to
> realize that a design based on this cannot be clean, in the sense that
> use cases where it causes trouble will eventually surface?

I think can understand some of Gregory's frustration.  If those problems
are real, it should be possible to showcase them.  Though that's not
always easy to do, those examples could better illustrate where the
fractures in Gregory's design are, and encourage him to undestand the
problem and find alternatives.  Or, as we often do, clearly document
shortcomings and establish the specific application domain of a
particular technique.  I for one, wouldn't mind a fix that worked only
in Emacs 28, so maybe some C-level handholding can be added.

João