Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 11:54:36 +0000

This is feasible, but IMHO very (and needlessly) difficult. Basically you need to work with pixel dimensions, and recalculate everything manually: first calculate the (maximal) size of the miniwindow (given the user preferences, in particular max-mini-window-height), then calculate the size of its contents with window-text-pixel-size. You should add one character (or line) at at time, and recalculate the new size each time.

Yes, as far as I understand, in the general case, it must be one character at a time, since each character might have a different pixel width. At some point there is a cutoff and things are not displayed anymore. I was hoping that that knowledge, which is held somehere in the system at some point, could be imparted to the application.

Anyway, whatever the mechanism (notification or painstaking calculation), we should first write a function that does this. That is the bugfix in my opinion. Then we can work on simplifying that function's implementation, if it turns out to be slow or problematic.

There is no need to calculate anything with the "start-display-at-beginning-of-minibuffer" solution I sent a few hours ago. Emacs does everything for you, at no cost.

Or is there something that you need (e.g. for Eldoc) and that this solution does not do?