Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 13:19:53 +0000

The solution in this thread works at the Lisp level, and will not affect other uses of the miniwindow, because it relies on a minibuffer-local variable. AFAICS it is also safe wrt recursive editing.

Using a buffer-local variable doesn't necessarily eliminate the problems with recursive-edit. And using window-scroll-functions for this purpose is a no-no. So I cannot endorse this others solution, either.

Once again I have to stop a discussion with you, because I do not want to start a public dispute with you. You reject everything I propose with vague statements about "potential problems", without any detail or recipe that would help me or others to see whether these "potential problems" are real or minor ones.

Note that what you object to (using set-window-start in window-scroll-functions) is, in fact, already used twice in Emacs core.

In em-smart.el, eshell-smart-initialize adds eshell-smart-scroll-window to window-scroll-functions, eshell-smart-scroll-window calls eshell-smart-redisplay, and eshell-smart-redisplay uses set-window-start. Likewise, follow.el adds follow-avoid-tail-recenter to window-scroll-functions, and follow-avoid-tail-recenter uses set-window-start.

In both cases, the code was already present in Emacs 21. Which means that it has been used for twenty years without known problems.