Re: Sv: Sticky tooltips

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Sv: Sticky tooltips
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 12:18:50 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 11:27:15 +0200
>>
>> Where do I find the mouse motion callback for tooltips?
>
> I don't understand the question, sorry.  What is this callback you are
> looking for? what is it supposed to do?

Tooltip frame is hidden as soon as mouse moves. I wish to suspend that
behaviour while a timer is active; must be some mouse motion event; I am
not sure where to look for it; where is it defined.

>> This also leaves question how it will behave if a tooltip frame is live
>> on the screen and another tooltip frame is "requested".
>
> In that case we pop down the previous tooltip, AFAIR.  There can be
> only one tooltip active at any given time.

Yes. I think it can be hacked in x-show-tip: will have to check if a
sticky tooltip is enabled. I can save it as buffer local variable in the
buffer, so it could be read in x-show-tip which then can either
delete/re-use frame or create a new frame.