Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 13:11:40 +0300

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 10:57:35 +0100
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>, Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>, Juri Linkov
> <juri@linkov.net>,
>       Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > Or a lot of completion candidates.
>
> That's odd, I've been C-x C-f'ing to directories with "a lot" of files
> and I don't notice any problems.  What size of "lot" did you have in
> mind?

More than can be displayed, one candidate on each line, by the frame's
dimensions, I guess.

> Make sense. I do notice some truncation in the candidates in this new
> vertical mode I've been trying for a day or so, but I expect truncation of
> candidates anyway, so I haven't missed the feature of being shown
> explicitly that truncation is happening.  Anyway, whoever is making
> this truncation happen (display engine?) should be the responsible for
> showing that warning hint.  I don't see why it should be related to
> "candidates" or completion at all.

The truncation is done by icomplete, not by the display engine.  The
"warning" is supposed to be in the form of the ellipsis displayed
after the last candidate that is shown.

> Though maybe the responsible for the truncation can provide a
> way (a hook, a variable, a function?) for the user of the minibuffer to
> select
> the appropriate hint.  My point here is that this variable/function shouldn't
> be called icomplete-truncation-hint, but rather mini-window-truncation-hint.

The code which displays the min-window is more-or-less the generic
Emacs window-display code, it doesn't care that not all of the stuff
fits in the window.  If an application wants to fit the buffer in the
window, or display some hint about truncation, it's the application's
business to do these things.