Re: Question collaborative editing - Wikipedia reference

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing - Wikipedia reference
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2020 20:54:47 +0300

Here is Wikipedia reference on collaborative real time editor:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaborative_real-time_editor

As it was in the Mother of All Demo by Douglas Engelbart, it is pity
that Emacs yet does not support such, especially because Emacs can
support such through its Lisp.

On the other hand, I find that collaborative text editing need not
take place in the same time and that revision systems would be quite
enough for larger groups.

For smaller groups with patience, collaborative text editing can take
place even without Internet, as files can be sent by postal mail to
each other. Don't mind my extreme thinking, yet simple exchange of
file by any means, by any type of networking, is quite fine for
collaborative text editing in small groups.

Myself I cannot find practical uses for real-time collaborative
editing.

Additionally, collaborative editing would require some kind of speech
conversation, as otherwise it becomes foolish to edit
"collaboratively" if collaborators are not really collaborating, they
need to have communication system, and not just text that is edited
remotely. That would mean they are not coordinating with each other,
but doing what they think is best.

Normal editing involves first thinking, thus communication with
oneself, it can be fraction of a second, and then typing.

Collaborative editing should start with thinking of collaborators,
which means communication between collaborators, and then decision to
type. Without communication in background, creation of collaborative
editing does not impress me.

If anybody has practical use from real life, I would like to know
about it.