Re: Question collaborative editing.

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing.
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 22:14:34 +0530

On Thu, Oct 01 2020, Ergus wrote:

> It is a bit more complex, because for remote editing it is not easy to
> establish connection in different NAP, cross firewalls, and so on. And
> as I said before, we don't have resources to provide a server service
> for this that runs "our" CRTD server.
>
> Withing the same network it still requires a sort of local service to
> solve the conflicts. And that also needs to be implemented...

Well, we can start with something simple. How about implementing
collaboration on local area network first. I remember we had fun with
'talk'. Once implemented on LAN, users can then figure out how to work
across continents using some kind of tunnel.

An example use-case might be:

user1:
1. C-x C-f (find-file)
2. M-x enable-collaboration ; this generates a session-key
3. Share session key with collaborators via chat/email

user2: (via Tramp)
1. C-x C-f /collab:session-key@ip-address:filename <RET>

Users get cursors with different colours.

The advantage of using Tramp is that users can always use Ad-hoc
multi-hops.