Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuf

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuffer
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 23:11:22 +0000

Hi Stefan,

In your example recipe, the first line is hidden. I agree that it's probably a bad idea *when you enter the minibuffer*. But this same display is probably a better choice after the user read the prompt and knows what's the current directory, at which point the list of remaining completions is likely going to the main focus.

Thank you, now I see what you mean. IMO (and I would be extremely surprised if I were the only one with that opinion) seeing the current directory disappearing is disturbing (and from a newcomer point of view: very disturbing), so the prompt an user input should always be displayed (unless the miniwindow is too small of course).

After `set-window-start`, the redisplay will be inevitably re-started, which in turn might decide to scroll and thus `run_window_scroll_functions`, etc...

IIRC the reason it won't scroll the second time around is because point should be visible (and redisplay would only scroll in order to move point within view).

I don't know, but I'm not sure about that. If you (set-window-start nil 1) unconditionally in window-scroll-functions, this setting will be obeyed by redisplay, even if point is not visible anymore. Which, by the way, explains the need of a recursive call to set-window-start-at-begin.