Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuf

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuffer
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 12:04:59 +0300

> Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 06:59:16 +0000
> cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

> >> I don't know, but I'm not sure about that.  If you (set-window-start
> >> nil 1) unconditionally in window-scroll-functions, this setting will be
> >> obeyed by redisplay, even if point is not visible anymore.
> >
> > Oh, indeed, in that case it would move point instead.
>
> No, that's not what I meant.  In that case redisplay does not scroll and
> does not move point.  Point simply becomes invisible.

No, redisplay will never accept a result that point is invisible.  If
it ever does display such situations, it's a bug that needs to be
fixed.

> It becomes visible again after the next redisplay, a second or two
> later.

If such a situation exists, please describe how to reproduce it,
because it's a bug we need to fix.  Emacs should never display a
window where point is not fully visible.