Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuf

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuffer
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 16:11:06 +0000

I don't know, but I'm not sure about that. If you (set-window-start nil 1) unconditionally in window-scroll-functions, this setting will be obeyed by redisplay, even if point is not visible anymore.

Oh, indeed, in that case it would move point instead.

No, that's not what I meant. In that case redisplay does not scroll and does not move point. Point simply becomes invisible.

No, redisplay will never accept a result that point is invisible. If it ever does display such situations, it's a bug that needs to be fixed.

Never say never...

It becomes visible again after the next redisplay, a second or two later.

If such a situation exists, please describe how to reproduce it, because it's a bug we need to fix. Emacs should never display a window where point is not fully visible.

Here's a recipe:

emacs -Q
(defun recipe ()
  (interactive)
  (set-frame-width nil 80)
  (set-frame-height nil 30)
  (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*Recipe*"))
  (goto-char 1)
  (let ((i 0)) (while (< i 60) (setq i (1+ i)) (insert (format "L%d\n" i))))
  (goto-char 148)
  (sit-for 0.25)
  (add-hook 'window-scroll-functions (lambda (&rest args) (set-window-start nil
1)))
  (forward-line 13))
M-x recipe
press C-n

You will see the cursor on the first line, after "L1", but in fact point is at that moment not visible anymore, it is still on "L54". A second or two later, point has actually moved, and you will see the cursor blinking on "L14". This works at least with Emacs 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 and 28.

The bug is more visible with Emacs 23 and 24, because you don't see the cursor on the first line after pressing C-n, you see a window without any cursor during a second or two. With Emacs 25, 26, 27 and 28 the cursor after "L1" does not correspond to point (and as far as I understand does not correspond to anything).