Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuf

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuffer
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 16:14:07 +0000

Thanks, but I don't like such solutions, because they attempt to work around the display engine in order to do something, instead of asking the display engine itself to do that for us.

You may not like it, but it works. In many cases programming means finding an appropriate workaround, and this workaround is better than those have been used so far.

In bug#43572, a solution that would allow us to ask the display engine to do this is being discussed. I'd favor one of the solutions proposed there lately, namely, to indicate in the text to be displayed that this text wants to be displayed with the window-start set at BOB.

This solution, on which there is no agreement yet, still has to be implemented, and it will only work, in the best case, with Emacs 27.2 and later. The solution here works with all Emacs versions.