Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 01:25:36 +0700

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 at 23:37, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> Where is this convention defined?  Is it a real
> "thing" - some standard or something, or is it
> just that you've noticed that many apps use such
> naming?  I'm not challenging you; just curious
> about this.

Now that I started looking, it seems that only Windows actively
recommends putting the application name in the window title.

Windows:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/uxguide/text-ui

| Choose the title bar text based on the type of window:
|
| *Top-level, document-centric program windows:*
| Use a "document name program name" format.
| Document names are displayed first to give a document-centric feel.

GNOME 2:

https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/unstable/windows-properties.html.en

| Use Filename as the window title for document-based applications.
| Do not use the full pathname,
| as the filename alone is easier to distinguish
| amongst other open window titles,
| for example on the window list.
|
| When a document has pending changes,
| insert an asterisk (*) at the beginning of the window title.
| For example, *Unsaved Drawing, *AnnualReport.
|
| While document names are most pertinent to users,
| we understand that application developers may want
| to increase recognition of their application.
| If you plan to include your application's name
| in the title of a primary window,
| use the following format: Document Name - Application Name.
| This will ensure
| that the document name appears in limited space situations
| such as the system window list.
|
| Including the application name
| in the title of a document-based application is not recommended.

GNOME 3 HIG is still not fleshed out enough to talk about window titles.

macOS:

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/windows-and-views/window-anatomy/

:
| For document windows,
| the title is the name of the document
| or Untitled (for new documents).

> > I do not know which browsers and mail clients you use but Firefox and> >
> > Thunderbird do append “- Mozilla Firefox” and “- Thunderbird” to every
> > title, at least for me on GNU/Linux, and I remember it being that way
> > back when I was using Windows.
>
> On Windows I don't see it in Firefox, Google Chrome,
> IE, or Brave (chromium).
>
> But I guess I'm not really seeing a frame (wm window)
> title.  As those browsers all use tabs, it's the tab
> title I guess I've been talking about, for a browser.
> I don't see a separate window title.  And googling
> for that suggests that you need to fiddle or use an
> add-on to implement or fake a window title.  (Is that
> correct?  It's my impression, so far.)

Hey, that’s a whole different kettle of fish. Yes, recently, many
applications go out of their way so as not to have a proper title bar
when running with a window manager that supports client-side
decorations (i.e. lets applications assume responsibility for drawing
a title bar).

Fortunately, i3 tacks a title bar on them anyway; also fortunately,
these applications still have usable title strings for the window
manager to display.