Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:56:02 +0200

>> However, I
>> think `` – Emacs'' is kind of useless.  I like useful information.

> The name of the application in the title is useful. It helps you pick
> the Emacs window out of multiple applications operating on the same
> file. For example, a Dired buffer showing a directory and Thunar
> showing the same directory.

> This is important in contexts where the window contents are not
> visible, e.g. a taskbar showing minimized windows, or a
> tiling/tabbing/stacking window manager such as i3 showing a single
> window in the stack and the titles of all other windows in the same
> stack.

An early historic data point: Emacs 18.59 used to display
"emacs: Emacs @ <hostname>" in the window title (and yes, they called
it "window" rather than "frame" at the time).

Maybe one should find out what led to the decision to change that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton%27s_fence