RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 14:18:34 -0700 (PDT)

> when switching apps I'm looking for a software, not for a
> document. Especially in the case of Emacs...

I take it that in this context you mean that, for you,
switching apps amounts to switching window-mgr windows.

In general, an app can have more than one window.  I
mentioned a web browser (an app), for example, which can
have multiple windows and multiple tabs in a window.

> The buffer name is only useful whenever I have two emacs
> frames on the same workspace. ...
>
> the default frame name does not make it as easy to identify
> emacs as other software.

Fair enough.

When you window-switch, does the method you use to do that
show you app _icons_?  If so, and assuming you can
distinguish the icons OK, is that less helpful than having
text that says "Emacs"?

E.g., to switch windows do you use completion perhaps, so
you need to actually type part of the app name: `e TAB' or
some such?

Obviously, different users work differently and do different
things.  Maybe there is not one reasonable default frame
config for all.

Maybe a small set of such configs would make sense, letting
users at least choose among them (as opposed to digging into
detail to configure `frame-title-format', which users can of
course always do).  But then we'd have to choose which of
that small number of choices should be the overall default. ;-)