Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 23:52:42 -0400

Please forgive me for taking so long to respond.  In late October
email started was pouring in on me, and I am now 700 messages
backlogged.  I just saw your message today, because I decided to
look for mail from you.

  > > The s.el file can include a precise list of the necessary renamings
  > > for callers to use.  This woud be updated by scanning magnars.el.

  > I don't understand this particular bit , the "precise list of necessary
  > renamings").

The idea is that (require 's) in file foo.el specifies renamings for
the rest of foo.el.  The question here is precisely how to specify them.

  > Thus, when compiling user.el, the byte-compiler will evaluate some
  > forms, including top-level require forms.  After it has evaluated the
  > first line

  >    (require 's)

  > It has loaded the file s.el[c].  That, in turn will have `require`d
  > magnars.el

Yes.

               and set up the `s-` -> `magnars-` translation for the current
  > compilation session (probably in a buffer-local version of the
  > shorthand-shorthands variable).

That is the part I want to change.

The current shorthands.el idea is to specify renamings with a pattern
(or multiple patterns) -- for instance, "rename everything that starts
with s- to start with magnars- instead."

That would work, but any change in shorthand.el could change the list
of symbols to be renamed.  Such changes could get in without being noticed.

So I am thinking that s.el should specify a list of specific symbol
renamings:

  (("s-prepend" . magnars-prepend)
   ("s-append" . magnars-append)
   ("s-concat" . magnars-concat)
   ...)

WDYT?

BTW, instead of magnars.el, I suggest the name magnar-string.el.
Its meaning will be clearer.

--
Dr Richard Stallman