Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 16:04:56 +0200

> > This is not a moral issue.  s.el is free software; it is not evil.
> > But we have to exercize good technical judgment as well as moral judgment.
> > We don't want people to make their Emacs Lisp code depend on s.el,
> > because that would not fit into Emacs well.  So we should avoid
> > encouraging making Emacs Lisp code depend on s.el.
>
> I have the impression that you don't live in the same universe as mine:
> in my world, `s.el` is already used by the majority of new packages even
> tho it's neither part of Emacs nor of GNU ELPA.  Not including it in GNU
> ELPA just increases the difficulty of accepting other packages in GNU ELPA.

Richard, Eli: please decide wether you want s.el into ELPA or not.
This is a bit embarassing for me to have done the work of getting
magnars to agree to put it there just to be refused at the last
minute, especially since in the past days I receive nothing but
requests to at least get s.el into ELPA, if the namespace way lead to
nowhere.

I'm not sure why there's this sudden turnaround on this issue, maybe
I'm missing something.