Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 11:56:31 +0100

> Have people found problems in it, or have they only
> criticized it for not being a real namespace system?

Namespace systems are a broad concept.  If one takes such things to
posess a first-class object holding each individual space of names, then
that feature is absent from shorthand.el.

This means it's hard to do automatic checking of consistency in naming,
much as the Common Lisp package facility does (and does it very well).

That is what we're trading off in return for a very simple facility.

However, if people are looking for other constructs to manage
namespaces, it very much possible to develop shorthand.el so that you
can have:

   (shorthand-in-namespace FOO :as "f")

For more complicated cases where the library foo.el doesn't have a
single prefix or renaming rule, we can use more sophisticated forms.

I just provided the buffer-local-variable technique:

   ;; Local Variables:
   ;; shorthand-shorthands: (("^s-" . "magnar-string-"))
   ;; End:

because it's practical, understood, and would be self-evident, i.e. work
without much "magic".

João