Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:29:48 +0100

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 2:07 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 19.05.2020 06:53, Richard Stallman wrote:
> >    > > An arbitrary NEWS file doesn't mention all packages we offer.
> >
> >    > It mentions the new ones.  For the rest, we have "C-h p".  Of course,
> >    > you already know all that, so I'm not sure I understand where does
> >    > this argument go.
> >
> > If C-h p is not doing the job, let's look for ways to do it better.
>
> It's not like it's "not doing the job", or that Finder became worse now,
> 3 decades after it was created (I just looked up its development history).
>
> The new alternative simply has more traction. It's basic usability: once
> the user learns that they can install packages to add extra Emacs
> functionality, they will look for more packages if they need something else.

Let's hypothesize that's really true: then let's go heavy on the :core
packages and problem solved, right?

João

PS: but you hypothesis might not really be 100% true.  A few years
ago, a blogger called Mickey Peterson had a very nice
https://www.masteringemacs.org/ blog where he went patiently over
the NEWS items and commented on  each individual addition.  The
very pretty blog theme helped.  I learned a lot there. In the end it came
down to someone that sat down and took the time to write something
useful.