Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 16:07:22 +0300

On 19.05.2020 06:53, Richard Stallman wrote:
   > > An arbitrary NEWS file doesn't mention all packages we offer.

   > It mentions the new ones.  For the rest, we have "C-h p".  Of course,
   > you already know all that, so I'm not sure I understand where does
   > this argument go.

If C-h p is not doing the job, let's look for ways to do it better.

It's not like it's "not doing the job", or that Finder became worse now, 3 decades after it was created (I just looked up its development history).

The new alternative simply has more traction. It's basic usability: once the user learns that they can install packages to add extra Emacs functionality, they will look for more packages if they need something else.

And the notion of package repositories is everywhere in the software world these days.