Re: Tramp and crypted files

From: Deus Max
Subject: Re: Tramp and crypted files
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 11:51:22 +0300

On Mon, May 18 2020, Michael Albinus wrote:

>> Since we can't determine whether any given user will want the
>> auto-encrypt-decrypt, we should let users specify yes or no.
>> Eventually we might develop ideas for defaults more sophisticated
>> than just "yes" and "no".
>
> As I said the other thread, we could create a new connection method
> "nextcloud-crypt" which does the job. A user could decide whether she
> uses "nextcloud" or "nextcloud-crypt" when accessing a given file. This
> could happen even in parallel for different files on the same server.
>
> Another approach might be to create a new file name handler, which just
> performs the encryption/decryption job, plus proper handling of file
> names. This could be enabled for dedicated remote servers only, and
> works in combination with Tramp. That new file name handlers performs the
> encryption/deryption locally, and Tramp is responsible for copying
> from/to the server.

Hi Michael,

I wrote a bash script that manages davfs2 and encfs for uploading the
data to the cloud with WebDAV. See for details
https://github.com/deusmax/cloud-davfs-encfs.

I have tested the package only with nextcloud, but the whole setup seems
to be generic webdav. Should work with other cloud providers that
support webdav.

Tramp uses the GOA library. I don't know if this is plus or a minus
compared to davfs2. I should look into supporting GOA, anyway.

I would be happy to port it to Tramp. You think it may work ?
Can someone give me a pointer to start ?

This work could result into creating connection methods like "davs-enc"
or "nextcloud-enc".

DeusMax