Re: Tramp and crypted files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and crypted files
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 16:48:25 +0200

Deus Max <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi,

> I wrote a bash script that manages davfs2 and encfs for uploading the
> data to the cloud with WebDAV. See for details
> https://github.com/deusmax/cloud-davfs-encfs.
>
> I have tested the package only with nextcloud, but the whole setup seems
> to be generic webdav. Should work with other cloud providers that
> support webdav.
>
> Tramp uses the GOA library. I don't know if this is plus or a minus
> compared to davfs2. I should look into supporting GOA, anyway.
>
> I would be happy to port it to Tramp. You think it may work ?
> Can someone give me a pointer to start ?
>
> This work could result into creating connection methods like "davs-enc"
> or "nextcloud-enc".

Thanks for your proposal! I haven't tried encfs yet, but is sounds
promising.

As written in my other messages, I don't believe (anymore) we shall mix
the en-/decryption part with Tramp implementation. This shall be
implemented in another file name handler, working over local
files. Tramp with whatever backend would be responsible then for copying
the encrypted files from/to the remote side.

Best might be, if you start to read Emacs docs about file name handlers,
and how they are supposed to work. There's not too much in the doc; a
starting point would be (info "(elisp) Magic File Names")

In parallel, I will download your package, and play with it.

> DeusMax

Best regards, Michael.