Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 10:15:39 +0200

Hi Richard,

> So the way I have in mind is that Tramp would automatically encrypt
> any file before sending it to Nextcloud, and decrypt after fetching
> it.  So you would not have to choose your file names to specify "this
> is encrypted data."  Tramp, when uploading, would put in something to
> indicate that Tramp had encrypted the data, and that would tell Tramp
> to decrypt it when fetching it back.
>
> The file name you started with should be encrypted too, so that the
> nextcloud instance cannot see what it was.

Such functionality does not exist in Tramp.

Remember, Tramp is just a stupid library, which offers alternative
implementations for primitives like write-region, copy-file, or
insert-file-contents. Before Tramp could implement automagic
encoding/decoding, we would need a design in Emacs how it shall look
like. Not only for Tramp, other file name handlers could profit from
this as well. And even files on mounted directories come to mind.

Best regards, Michael.