Re: transient

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: transient
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 08:58:25 +0200

On Mon, May 18 2020, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I like it very much because it helps see the rationale > behind > keybinding. After a while you get to learn the bindings for > the > commands you use the most and you can easily explore new > commands.

For those that know Transient -- do you think it would provide that
benefit too?

Well, which-key simply displays existing keybindings. A package author doesn't have to do anything, which-key just works.

Transient OTOH defines its own key sequences, so you can't use it to show users existing keybindings. If a package author wants their package to work with transient, they have to define transient menus for all functionality they want to expose.

Transient key bindings also work differently from standard Emacs key bindings. That's not a bad thing, because transient's main purpose is to provide an interface to external command line programs (such as git, as it was originally developed as part of magit) and it's well-suited for that.

It would be possible to use transient to provide an interface to Emacs packages, but the interface would be different from what is standard, so it's not a which-key replacement.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments