Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 13:07:49 +0200

Stefan Kangas <address@hidden> writes:

> Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> writes:
>
>> which-key seems to do something similar. I like it very much because
>> it helps see the rationale behind keybinding. After a while you get to
>> learn the bindings for the commands you use the most and you can
>> easily explore new commands.
>
> I've used which-key for a couple of years by now.  It has turned out to
> be a huge time-saver and great for discovering new commands (or to
> remind myself of some less frequently used ones).
>
> I believe that we would have much to gain in terms of being new-user
> friendly by having something like this in core, enabled by default.
>
> The package is installable from MELPA, and screenshots are at:
> https://github.com/justbur/emacs-which-key
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan Kangas
I also think you could have something like which-key on by default. I
have also used which-key at least a year or two, and I have just one
small issue with it: sometimes, when there are lots of options, it
renders botom line only partially. It renders it little behind the
minibuffer, I see only half the height of the bottom line. For me it is
not a major issue, and is probably not hard to fix, I just didn't bother
myself, but if you would have it in Emacs then it might need fix.