Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?

From: ndame
Subject: Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 19:43:54 +0000

> But MELPA asks you to jump through a different set of hoops, which
> seems to fly in the face of your theory.

You mean setting up MELPA access? Users do that anyway, because many great
packages are only available there, so that hoop has to be jumped regardless.

> IME, many people who "solved the problem" want others to enjoy their
> solution, and that is what gives them the incentive to "jump through
> hoops".

Sure. But the question was about those people who don't do that.

And in the latter case others can still enjoy the solution easily via MELPA.
Those users who don't set up MELPA are a minority.

So Emacs/ELPA should provide a good use case which MELPA can't provide. The
only thing I know is if there is no internet connection then packages are
available locally, but I don't know how typical that is.