Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 07:41:42 +0200

> > But MELPA asks you to jump through a different set of hoops, which
> > seems to fly in the face of your theory.
>
> Oh, you mean hoops for getting into MELPA. I don't what those are, but I
> assume there are less hoops there.

Back in the days it was just Purcell reviewing and letting some things
fly, but nowadays you have to follow
https://github.com/melpa/melpa/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.org#making-your-package-ready-for-inclusion

That is, before inclusion they semi-automated that checkdoc is happy,
that the whole package is prefixed, that the names style is not
"anti-emacs", etc.

That said, for those living on github/gitlab/etc compared to ELPA you
feel at home... you just open issues, make pull requests & get
answered there, you feel "welcome". On ELPA/emacs-devel you don't feel
as welcome because of copyright assignments / subscribing to a mailing
list / having to create patches and send an email, that plus usually
the first answer you receive is that you did your commit message all
wrong and that it follows complex rules in a tone that is more serious
and "hard work" than what you get on MELPA.

Hope it helps,
Philippe