Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?

From: ndame
Subject: Re: "Write a new package" culture instead of patches?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 19:25:50 +0000

> Has anyone else thought about this?  Is it correct to say that such a
> "package first" culture has developed?  If yes, why has it developed,
> and is there anything we could do about it?

The obvious answer  is because they solved the problem, it works, available to anyone and they can't be bothered with jumping through additional hoops (paperwork, following the core rules for docs, code formatting, commit message, etc.).

For some people getting their code into the core is a source of pride. For others it's a pointless excercise, because it's trivially available from MELPA which the majority of users use anyway for other packages too.